New York is about to get a new Chief Judge.
For the next 14 years, this judge will lead the Court of Appeals
—New York’s highest court—and the entire state court system.
We demand a new Chief Judge
who will safeguard the rights of all New Yorkers,
defend our democracy, and protect the most vulnerable.
This is The Court New York Deserves.
See our statement on the nomination of Judge Rowan D. Wilson.
WHY THIS MATTERS
New York’s Highest Court Has Enormous Power
New Yorkers have watched in horror as the U.S. Supreme Court has stripped us of fundamental rights, including a federal right to abortion, while embracing extremist right-wing values that invalidate common-sense state laws and undermine our democratic institutions. The Court of Appeals can and should act as a defense against such federal attacks, protecting New Yorkers and defending the rule of law.
In recent years, it has done neither.
For Years, New York’s Court Has Failed to Stand Up for New Yorkers
Under former Chief Judge Janet DiFiore, the Court of Appeals has — like the federal Supreme Court — taken an alarming turn, issuing regressive decisions that have harmed workers, tenants, and immigrants, curtailed New Yorkers’ rights, undermined our democratic institutions, and made it more difficult for the state to implement environmental protections.
This Court’s priorities in recent years have been clear — and they have been clearly wrong for New York.
What’s Possible Now?
In August, former Chief Judge DiFiore unexpectedly resigned. The appointment of New York’s next Chief Judge offers a critical opportunity for New York. We need a Chief Judge who will safeguard New Yorkers’ rights, defend our democracy, and protect the most vulnerable New Yorkers.
Gov. Hochul has nominated Justice Hector LaSalle as New York’s next Chief Judge despite significant alarm raised by unions, reproductive rights organizations, Senators, and other New Yorkers concerned about Justice LaSalle’s deeply conservative judicial record, which includes decisions that are anti-abortion, anti-union, and anti-due process. These decisions make clear that his judicial philosophy is wrong for New York, and that, if confirmed as Chief Judge, he would be a continuation of former Chief Judge DiFiore’s right-wing Court of Appeals.
Rally + Press Conference Outside Court of Appeals Building in Albany
Thursday, November 3, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m. ET
New York is about to get a new Chief Judge.
For the next 14 years, this judge will lead the Court of Appeals—New York’s highest court—and the ...
WHO'S IN THE FIGHT
For press inquiries, reach out to Peter F. Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org
or Tanya Linn Albrigtsen-Frable at email@example.com.
Read recent press coverage
- Progressive groups tell Hochul next chief judge must not be former prosecutor (City & State)
- Progressives push Hochul to pick new chief judge who ‘defends democracy’ (Spectrum News)
- Progressive groups seek chief judge more attuned to ‘vulnerable New Yorkers’ in Gov. Hochul’s replacement for DiFiore (WAMC)
- 20 state Senators: Avoid repeat of DiFiore tenure (Times Union)
- Group Urges Governor to Choose a Progressive as New York’s Next Chief Judge (New York Law Journal)
- Advocates seek New York chief judge to move past ‘regressive’ DiFiore legacyAdvocates seek New York chief judge to move past ‘regressive’ DiFiore legacy (Spectrum News)
- Hochul’s chief judge pick will be closely watchedHochul’s chief judge pick will be closely watched (Spectrum News)
- Advocates urge Hochul to choose a new chief judge who will look out for the vulnerable (WXXI)
- The 3 nominees progressives won’t tolerate on New York’s highest court (City & State)
- Hochul Taps First Latino Judge to Head New York’s Top Court (New York Times)
- NY governor nominates Hector LaSalle as state’s chief judge (AP News)
- Hochul nominates LaSalle to be chief judge, angering NY Senate progressives, (City and State)
- Hector LaSalle nominated to be next chief judge of New York state (WRVO)
- Hochul’s chief judge pick met with growing opposition (Spectrum News 10)
- Hochul nominates Hector LaSalle to be top New York judge (Spectrum)
- NY Governor Taps State Supreme Court Justice as Top Judge (Bloomberg Law)
- Hochul taps LaSalle to lead NY courts; will he pass muster with Senate progressives? (LoHud.com)
Sign up for updates on The Court New York Deserves
For press inquiries, reach out to Peter F. Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org.